Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Teaching Perspective In..ventory - a self evaluatory tool for Teachers



 

The above shows a summary of the result of my TPI profile which I did on 17th April 2012, Tuesday. This give me a critical reflection  as being a teacher by providing information and it articulates my own beliefs about learning, knowledge and prime social role of being a teacher. Each one of Perspective is further categorized into three areas and those areas represent the following.
·        B - Beliefs: - My belief about teaching and learning
·        I- Intentions: - My accomplishments goals in my teaching and learning
·        A- Actions: - My active methodologies and activities in teaching and learning


Well, my dominant perspective is “Transmission” which has the highest score of 36. This illustrates I assume that for effective learning and teaching mastery over required content is essential and teaching is organized and implemented content-based with commitment.

Developmental Perspective is recessive since the scores lies well below 27 for me. This suggests that I do not believe in teaching with prior-knowledge based, and developing cognitive structures to redefine thinking and learning.

Apprenticeship, Nurturing and Social Reform Perspectives lies in between dominant and recessive perspective with score of 33, 33, 30. This suggests that I may start in future to believe that Teachers shall be experience practitioners, teachers shall give special importance to learners’ self-efficacy and self-concept of learning and as a social reformer I must admit that learning is more than an individualistic approach and a visible social change is expected from learners.

Overall, on these five teaching perspectives, my intentions about that are valued at highest with 56, followed by my actions on them with score of 52, belief being the least scoring category with 48.

An average of arithmetical mean of 31.20 for all depicts that I am neither in dominant area nor in recessive area when all five Teaching Perspectives are concerned. This clearly suggests that my attitude of teaching is progressive towards dominant. However, a standard deviation (SD) of 4.07 suggests the underlying gap between different teaching perspectives and approaches. Clearly it gives birth to a variance of 16.57. Therefore, my approach of teaching is more weighted towards “Transmission Perspective” and less weighted towards “Developmental Perspective”.

Therefore, the underlying values and figures are essential for me in selecting my own approach to teaching combining the approach that Teaching Perspective Inventory has suggested. The test results can be used to evaluate my teaching for self evaluation. Also these test results can be used to justify my approach of teaching to someone else and also to defend my approach to teaching with circumstances.
However, it is believed that a balanced approach which caters for individual differences are always needed for modern class rooms. More so, the inventory is mere an event of predicted result and it is limited that it is research based little ago with those days problems and situations and TPI is neither reformed towards modern teaching arena.  (485 words)


Notes: The TPI Results are listed below for further refereence


Mohamed Firaz here are your TPI scores:
----------------------
17-APR-12
----------------------
Transmission total: (Tr)   36.00
   B=11; I=11; A=14
Apprenticeship total: (Ap)  33.00
   B=10; I=12; A=11
Developmental total: (Dv)  24.00
   B=5; I=12; A=7
Nurturance total: (Nu)  33.00
   B=12; I=11; A=10
Social Reform total: (SR)  30.00
   B=10; I=10; A=10
----------------------
Beliefs total: (B)  48.00
Intention total: (I)  56.00
Action total: (A)  52.00
----------------------
Mean: (M)  31.20
Standard Deviation: (SD)    4.07
HiT: (HiT)   35.00
LoT: (LoT)   27.00
----------------------
Overall Total: (T) 156.00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For future reference your TPI ID number is: 120417101241
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Are you interested to test your TPI Score, If so please visit www.teaching perspectives.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment. Your comment will be published after moderation by blogger.