Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

AS A TEACHER.....


* This piece of Writing as been taken from an Unknown Source but it is interesting.   

  "As a future teacher I believe that it is important for a child to enjoy school and learning.  It is my responsibility as a teacher to create a classroom environment that not only promotes learning but also encourages creativity and individuality.  I want my students to be active participants voicing their opinions and not being afraid to disagree.  I want my students to leave my classroom with good social and decision-making skills.   I want my students to be upright and respect not only their teacher and other staff, but also their peers.  It is essential for them to understand the importance of a good education.  For effective teaching to take place, teachers must know how to maximize the time spent on task and minimize student misbehavior. This can be done through a good organization of class activities and classroom management.
With the correct classroom management, I will be able to achieve this goal for my students.  My understanding of good classroom management includes a class where students engaged in learning activities and spends little time off task.  However, disruptions will occur, but it is my duty to establish a relationship with my students where they feel supported and motivated to help eliminate behavior problems.  If the teacher is caring, knowledgeable, well organized, and enthusiastic; the students will know and will respond with the incentive to learn and participate in the classroom. 
In order to achieve this goal for my students, I have to develop a classroom that will encourage this active and respectable behavior.  I believe that when children are able to voice their opinion and make choices about the activities in the classroom, they become more engaged.  This is why I agree with the student-directed management theory.   “The student-directed management theory believes that the primary goal of schooling is to prepare students for a life in democracy, which requires citizens who are able to control their behavior, care for others, and make wise decisions.” (Levin, Nolan, pg.83)   Ways that I can achieve this democracy setting in my classroom is to provide my students with choices about schoolwork, discipline, and the organization of the classroom.   For example, I plan to work closely with my second grade class to develop a list of rules for the class to follow and will also set up consequences for those that break the rules. By allowing the child to aid in the creation of the classroom rules, to find relevance for the rules to be in place and will be less likely to break them.   It is essential that my students know and understand the classroom rules and the reasons behind them. I can help establish this responsibility through consistency in my teaching style and discipline and by enforcing my expectations for a supportive and encouraging learning environment.
The students will also help decide on decorations for the classroom and will work together to keep the room well organized and in tact.  This will give the students a sense of ownership and education.  I look at misbehavior as a learning opportunity for the children.  If the child breaks a rule they will have a choice between losing a privilege and writing a paper explaining why what they did was wrong.   I want my students to understand that breaking the rule was a choice that they had control over and that next time they need to think and make a better decision.  “Choice plays a key role in student directed learning environments because it is believed that a student can learn to make good choices only if he has the opportunity to make choices.” (Levin, Nolan, pg. 85)  
            In Principles of Classroom Management: A Professional Decision- Making Model, Nolan and Levin state, “ Referent and Expert teacher power bases seem most compatible with student-directed management theory.” As a future teacher I agree with each of the four power bases and want to use all of them to make my classroom a success.  However, I have to keep in mind that each child is different and will perceive me different.  I will have to know which power base will work best for each student to fulfill their physical, intellectual, social, and emotional developmental needs.
            The first power base, a  “Referent teacher is viewed by his/ her students as someone who cares about them and their learning.  Students behave because they like the teacher as a person.” (Levin, Nolan, Pg. 76)   I believe that it is important for an elementary teacher to establish a bond with each of his/her students.  Establishing a relationship with the students will not only help the teacher understand the child’s needs in the classroom, but will also learn about the student’s interests and will be able to build upon that to make more authentic lessons for the class. 
The next is the Expert power base.  It states “students behave as the teacher wishes because they view him as a good, knowledgeable teacher who can help them to learn.” Nolan, Levin, pg. 77) It is a teacher’s job to help the students to learn and to understand what they are teaching to their students, therefore I agree with the expert power also.  I want students to view me as a knowledgeable resource that they can learn from. 
            Legitimate power, the third base,  is when the teacher fits the stereotypical roles of a teacher through their dress, speech, and mannerism.  “Teachers who use legitimate power must demonstrate through their behavior that they accept the responsibilities, as well as the power, inherent in the role of teacher.”(Levin, Nolan, pg. 78)  I want the students to have respect for me as their teacher and to respect what I am trying to do for them, which is help them learn. 
            The last power base is the reward and coercive power base.  This power base uses rewards and punishments to help manage the classroom.  I agree with this strategy for certain circumstances but not all.  I will use this in my classroom, but on occasion not as an everyday incentive.  Every student does not react to the reward and coercive acts.
Most importantly, I have to keep in mind that each and every child is different and respond to situations differently.  It is very important that I establish a relationship with each one of my students so that I can gain an understanding of what their needs are in order to construct the best management plan for the that classroom.  Every classroom will be different and a teacher has to know how to adjust to those differences and be flexible."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment. Your comment will be published after moderation by blogger.